Solenoid Modelling Question

Hi,

As part of my work, I require a solenoid for a product. I have
designed a solenoid empirically and through "gut feeling", but I want
to proceed further into the design by actually doing some analysis.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by training, so I have experience with FEM
software like ansys for structural dynamics etc, but have never used
fem for magnetics analysis before.

I would appreciate and recommendations on books, software packages or
suggetions that any of you can give me.

For those who are technically inclined, ive listed some basic info
below...

Any help woull be greatly appreciated...

Thanx

Manoj Gopalan
gopalan_m@xxxxxxxxx
___________
Armature and Housign material is Vanadium Permendur (23000 Gauss
Saturation Flux Density) heat treated after machining for maximum
properties. Do not have any coercivity info.

Coil Size 0.625" I.D 1.300" O.D approximately 2.125" Long

Approximate winding 2400@25 AWG H rated wire.

Maximum Air Gap 0.100"
Minimum Air Gap 0.005" (set by a stopper plate)

Minimum required pulling force 18 lbf(0.100")
Minimum required holding force 15 lbf(0.005")

The firing circuit is a constant current circuit coupled to capacitor
bank to provide an initial peak currrent of 4A followed by a static
holding current of 0.25A.