Re: [femm] Re: Linux and 3D

Has anyone got an idea of when it could be possible to have a working 3D
FEMM?
I am saying that because we are now in the process of buying 3D
software, and so far it is a bit hairy, not as friendly as it is sold...

Would it be possible/useful to "cross pollinate" FEMM with an already
free 3D finite element software such as Gmsh+GetDP (http://www.geuz.org)
developed by some guys in the University of Liege (Belgium)?
Regards,
Victor.

In message
<E1CE3428C6F3D311BF930008C7CFCE9D01929D9D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Davis, Richard W (WNS)" <richard.w.davis@xxxxxxxxx> writes
>There is no question that a 3D version of FEMM would help me
>in the work I'm doing. (Permanent Magnet linear motors).
>But here's a trick based on the way the 3D graphics market
>evolved about 15 years ago... The symmetrical capability
>in FEMM right now could be expanded.
>
>This only makes sense as an intermediate step... The long term
>goal should continue to be full 3D capability. But in the mean
>time....
>
>Right now you can do axisymmetric models in FEMM. If that
>could be expanded to allow a single 3D vector, lots of projects
>become do-able without the huge effort in math needed for full
>3D models. The idea would be to add a single depth vector, and
>build elements that extend past the ends of the 3D vector by
>some dimension.
>
>So you could model any set of objects that are aligned along
>at least one axis and that have uniform depth.
>
>The other item on my wish list is modeling over time, so that you
>could see the momentary and cumulative behavior of motors and
>other moving systems.... And I know just how tall an order that is.
>
>Go for it. Hope this helps.
>
>Richard W. Davis
>WNS New Services and Network Capabilities
>Office 425 580 8860
>Mobile 206 890 4328

Victor Bellido-Gonzalez
GENCOA LTD