Re: [femm] nonferrous electromagnets

sunshine_80918@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all. Been thinking about a project involving nonferrous
> electromagnets, attracting metal with low electrical resistance like
> copper, alluminum, gold etc... Want to know if anyone here knows
> anything or has any experience with this subject. I have searched
> the archives and found no mention and what I did find did not
> understand much. I have a book on order about how to make one,
> just being impatient and thought someone might know from
> experience. Thanks for your time, Mark

In most applications in which a coil acts on nonferrous objects, the forces
are repulsive rather attractive. A nice paper that describes this phenomenon
is http://members.aol.com/marcttpapers/ieee_potentials_2000.pdf

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.foster-miller.com
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
adr:;;350 Second Avenue;Waltham;MA;02451;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
fn:David Meeker