nonferrous electromagnets

Hi all. Been thinking about a project involving nonferrous
electromagnets, attracting metal with low electrical resistance like
copper, alluminum, gold etc... Want to know if anyone here knows
anything or has any experience with this subject. I have searched
the archives and found no mention and what I did find did not
understand much. I have a book on order about how to make one,
just being impatient and thought someone might know from
experience. Thanks for your time, Mark