Re: BH data

--- In femm@xxxx, Keith Gregory <k.gregory@xxxx> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think you would find that static finite elements models with
single
> valued magnetization characteristics would give pretty good
approximations
> of field distribution and winding inductances in the 50-60Hz types
of
> applications where the materials are laminated. Although
calculating
> inductances in saturated conditions is complicated. Loss
calculations even
> at 50 or 60 Hz are not as straightforward. Operating in Khz I
really have
> no idea how good results would be.

A basic model LVDT model using mumetal core at even 100 Hz shows
pronouned skin effect. At 5kHz there is a danger of saturation near
the material surface at normal drive levels.

> >I am currently interested in trying to observe Barkhausen noise for
> >NiFe materials. I expect to use up to about 100 Hz field for this,
and
> >believe that the spectrum of the noise will contain much
information,
> >if it can be unravelled; early days yet. Comments are very welcome
>
> The classic demonstration of Barkhausen jumps is done with "DC"
> magnetization, usually with a permanent magnet. I have a vague
memory of a
> paper describing a different way which can produce noise displays
on an
> oscilloscope. I'm not sure what information it would contain
though, what
> had you got in mind?

I hope to use LF ac to cycle the jumps and give larger noise output.
Literature suggests that Barkhausen noise can indicate heat treatment
and internal stresses, inter alia; as properties of cores are
affected by handling stresses I believe BN can provide an insightful
tool into known quality issues.

> In addition, if my memory serves aren't there several different
Radiomental
> alloys differentiated by a number such as Radiometal 36?

Yes. The 36 refers to % nickel in the alloy. Varoius types give
different permeability / resistivity / cost materials for different
applications.

Mike