Re: [femm] Re: BH data

At 15:31 24/10/2002 +0000, you wrote:
--- In femm@xxxx, Keith Gregory <k.gregory@xxxx> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think you would find that static finite elements models with
single
> valued magnetization characteristics would give pretty good
approximations
> of field distribution and winding inductances in the 50-60Hz types
of
> applications where the materials are laminated. Although
calculating
> inductances in saturated conditions is complicated. Loss
calculations even
> at 50 or 60 Hz are not as straightforward. Operating in Khz I
really have
> no idea how good results would be.

A basic model LVDT model using mumetal core at even 100 Hz shows pronouned skin effect. At 5kHz there is a danger of saturation near the material surface at normal drive levels.

The 5kHz doesn't surprise me but the 100Hz does, although mumetal is different to the materials I would normally work with.

> >I am currently interested in trying to observe Barkhausen noise for
> >NiFe materials. I expect to use up to about 100 Hz field for this,
and
> >believe that the spectrum of the noise will contain much
information,
> >if it can be unravelled; early days yet. Comments are very welcome
>
> The classic demonstration of Barkhausen jumps is done with "DC"
> magnetization, usually with a permanent magnet. I have a vague
memory of a
> paper describing a different way which can produce noise displays
on an
> oscilloscope. I'm not sure what information it would contain
though, what
> had you got in mind?

I hope to use LF ac to cycle the jumps and give larger noise output. Literature suggests that Barkhausen noise can indicate heat treatment and internal stresses, inter alia; as properties of cores are affected by handling stresses I believe BN can provide an insightful tool into known quality issues.

I could see that, since Barkhausen noise has been attributed to sudden domain wall movement and some people say that it is impurities and voids in the material that make the walls stick, the amount of noise could give an indication of the material structure and quality.

It would be interesting to see if it really is "noise" or it has some pattern during repeated cycles.

> In addition, if my memory serves aren't there several different
Radiomental
> alloys differentiated by a number such as Radiometal 36?

Yes. The 36 refers to % nickel in the alloy. Varoius types give different permeability / resistivity / cost materials for different applications.

Keith.