Re: [femm] Direction of Magnetization, Other Flux patterns

davet82000 wrote:

I am trying to model the process of magnetizing a ferrite magnet. Say
by running current carrying wires immediately next to its surface.
This is a simplification but will suffice.

The magnetized ferrite block is then removed from the wires and its
effect (Force and Torque) on a second magnet is observed.

I cannot see a way to ascribe the resulting field pattern to the now
magnetized ferrite block. Does anyone know how to set the magnitude
of the magnetization as a function of position across the block.
eg less further away from where the wires were. Setting the
magnetization angle is fairly straight forward and I can calculate
torques using coenergy methods but cannot see how to set the above or
a radial field distribution.

The problem here is that you potentially have to do a time-domain simulation with hysteresis (a simulation which femm doesn't really do) to figure out where each part of the magnet ends up after the magnetizing process is over. However, being lazy, I'd just assume that the magnetizing currents were strong enough so that the entire ferrite block was thoroughly saturated. Then, I might assume that the amplitude of the magnetization (Hc) is the same everywhere in the ferrite and just the direction is unknown. I'd break the magnet into some number of pieces and assign the direction for each piece individually. For some guidance on the "right" direction to assign, one could make a magnetostatic simulation of the magnetizing fixture at full current, representing the ferrite by its virgin magnetization curve. The direction of the magnetization should be pretty much along the direction of the flux in the full magnetization current simulation.

There are some people who read this mailing list who work at companies that make permanent magnets. One of these people may have a better strategy than mine for your problem, since this must be the kind of thing that they do all the time.

David Meeker <http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker>