Re: [femm] Inductances in electrical transformers

Fabius wrote:

Hi all.
I am trying to calculate mutual and leakage inductances in single phase
trasformer as in attached file.
I have modeled this transformer with core EI having a cross section of 50x80
mm, 220 turns at the primary and 117 turns at secondary.
The core extends 0.08m in the into-the-page direction.
I also added a small gap between E and I to be sure that there is no
relevant saturation.
First i evaluated the self inductance Ls1 = 290.6mH and Ls2 = 82.2 mH using
A,J integral as explained in tutorial.
I set primary windings to circuit primary+ and primary- having + or - 10A,
so the current I1 is 10/220 = 45.45 mA
Then i turned off primary winding and set secondary to a circiut carring 10
A.
Theese results are in according with the classical formulas.

Then i evaluated mutual inductance as described in Femm manual at
page 34. N2= 117 , I1=10/220 , a2 = 1.139E-3 m², integ A1dV2 = 4.339E-7 but
the result was M = 77.1 mH
( i multiplied the integ x 0.08 , the 3 dimension of core )
So the cooupling factor k = M / sqr(L1*L2) = 0.498

that is wrong. ( I think k is near 1 )

What is wrong in this model ?
Can someone help me ?
Best regards
Fabio

You're using the wrong area for a2--this is probably ambiguous the way that I've written it up in the manual. This area is meant to be the cross-section of the coil such that the current density in bulk coil 2 is: J2 = n2*i2/a2. Looking at your geometry, the a2 area should be 9 mm * 61 mm, or 549 mm^2. You've used twice that area, so you calculated exactly half the coupling factor that you should be getting.

dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker