Re: [femm] Re: Self and mutual inductances of coupled microstrip lines in RF frequency range

Samuel wrote:

Thanks for this useful information, Dave.

May I ask you one more question? :-) To obtain full L-matrix of
multiple signal strips in semiconducting dielectric stack the problem
must be solved N times where N is the number of strips, each time 1A
net current should apply to the next strip while keeping all other
strips at zero net current. It means that we keep solving the same equation N times replacing
only right hand sides.

Have you any idea how to make your iterative solver to memorize most
of results from the initial solution and reuse them for the following
solutions? Direct solver does this trick when it stores results of LU
decomposition and reuse them for multiple RHS.

I haven't thought that much about simultaneously solving for multiple RHS vectors with an iterative scheme. You can use the same preconditioner for all the RHS vectors--this would be an advantage if an Incomplete Choleski preconditioner was used, because some effort is required to obtain the decomposition. However, I'm using the SSOR preconditioner, which is relatively trivial to obtain. If we were solving a time-stepping problem, where the change from step to step were very small, the solution from one time step would be a good initial starting point for the iteration that computes the next time step. However, it isn't clear to me that the solutions for different collections of currents in your inductance problem are close to one another. I think that one could generalize SSOR-PCG to many RHS vectors, but it isn't immediately clear to be whether it would be faster than solving them one at a time.

dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker