Re: How is 5 Tesla possible?

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tg.gupta@xxxx wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> I am interested to measure the B - H Value for
> different Electromagentic materials (For Eg. 2% Nickle
> and rest of Fe Base). Let me know the method or any
> equipement availability which satisiy my requirments.
>
> The intention is to compare the BH value for different
> materials and select an optimised material for our uasge.
>
> Advance thanx for ur reply.
>
> with regards,
>
> TGK Gupta

This sort of testing isn't exactly my strong suit. However, there are
ASTM standards that define accepted methods and equipment for doing
these sorts of tests. These standards can be downloaded from the ASTM
website for a nominal fee. There are a number of standards, and I
don't know exactly which one would be most appropriate to what you are
trying to do. A good place to start might be:

A773/A773M-01 Standard Test Method for dc Magnetic Properties of
Materials Using Ring and Permeameter Procedures with dc Electronic
Hysteresigraphs
http://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/PAGES/A773A773M.htm

or perhaps at http://www.normas.com/ASTM/CONTENTS/Vol.03.04.html

Several companies sell equipment for doing this sort of testing.
I think Hirst Magnetics' "ARP03 Automatic Recording Permeameter" would
be an example of such an instrument (is this right, Robin?), or maybe
Walker Scientific:
http://www.walkerscientific.com/Products/Product_Lines/Magnetic_Analysis/Hysteresisgraphs/hysteresisgraphs.html

In any case, you should probably also talk to your material suppliers.
These vendors have a financial interest in helping you to pick a
material that will suit your needs.

Dave.