Re: OOT - Parallel FEM Language

David Meeker wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry for this OOT mail, but I really need your help...

I'm CS graduate student. Currently I'm doing my master theses, it is about to design a parallel FEM language. Unfortunately until now I had not tried any FEM software (maybe next month). My goal is to design an explicitly (not a "heroic" one) parallel language that is suitable for solving FEM problems and convenient enough for programmers. You can give me suggestions, and/or answer the questions below:
- If there is a good parallel FEM language, what features/spec that language should have ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=parallel%20finite%20element%20language

- What is the most important feature FEM problem solver application/languageshould have ?

The most important feature (other than being bug-free and providing accurate results) is the general ease-of-use. It should be "easy" to set up a geometry, automatically generate a mesh, and post-process the solution to get some desired type of result. If you are writing a parallel finite element language, the user should be insulated from having to manage low-level details of how the parallel solver is implemented. Anyhow, there are a lot of finite element programs, languages, and libraries out there (e.g. see Internet Finite Element Resources <http://www.engr.usask.ca/%7Emacphed/finite/fe_resources/fe_resources.html>). Some specific examples of finite element languages that you might look at are:
GetDP http://www.geuz.org/getdp/
FreeFEM++ http://www.ann.jussieu.fr/~hecht/freefem++.htm
FluxPDE http://www.pdesolutions.com/
Although these aren't really parallel implementations, they'll give you an idea of what people have put into languages or script interpreters meant for solving finite element programs.

- What features of current FEM Application (AnSys/Calculix/Nastran/OpenAlgor/Lisa/ DesignSpace or others) you consideredvery nice/helpful/important ?

All of these applications either come with an elaborate graphical front end or can be plugged into a generic graphical pre/post processor like FEMAP or GiD. The detailed process of setting up the finite element problem are largely masked from the user. From the user's point of view, this is pretty desirable--you just want do draw your part and get an analysis with the push of a button. However, creating a good user interface is sort of orthogonal to creating a good solver...

Anyhow, other desirable features, which may require some scripting on the part of the user, are the ability to define problems parametrically, and the ability to somehow plug into / interface with other analysis programs.

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker