Re: Plots of Je

The time-harmonic problem that FEMM is solving is:

curl((1/mu)curl(A)) = -j*omega*sigma*A + Jsrc

where mu is permeabilityin H/m, omega is frequency in rad/sec, sigma
is conductivity, and A is vector potential in T*m

Jsrc is source current density in MA/m^2--that is, there current that
would be in the winding either at zero frequency or if conductivity is
equal to zero.

When you plot "Jeddy", you are plotting just the -j*omega*sigma*A
term--that is, the induced currents that tend to buck the source currents.

When you plot "Jeddy+Jsrc", you are plotting the complete RHS, or all
contributions to current.

In the case where the total current in a region is specified via a
"circuit" property, the program is automatically picking the Jsrc term
so that the integral of "Jeddy+Jsrc" adds up the the specified value.

To get a prescribed to total current in a conductive region for
frequency not equal to zero, you have to prescribe the total current
via a "circuit" property.

http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert Macy" <macy@xxxx> wrote:
> Here is more on my problems plotting Je....
>
> *IF* the conductor has zero conductivity (as in a wire bundle), then the
> plots of Je and Js+J_eddy all make sense whether the current is
defined by
> Js in the materials section or whether it is defined as a total
current in
> the circuit section.
>
> *IF* the conductor has nonzero conductivity (as in a solid wire)
*and* the
> current is defined by total current in the circuit section, the
answers all
> make sense with the plot of Js+J_eddy being appropriate. However, Je by
> itself goes way wonky inside the conductor. Outside the conductor where
> there is no source current flowing the plots are still correct.
Conclusion: