Re: [femm] Re: Approximation of non-axisymmetric geometry

jflrlk wrote:
Hi,

I have a very similar situation, I would like to know the solution
too.

The motor we have is bascically axisymmetric, except that the
polarities of the surface mounted PMs around the rotor are
alternating, and there exists epoxy between every two adjacent PM
blocks. Does anybody know how I can model these PMs by an equivalent
axisymmetric case?

Thanks a lot!
>From this description, it sounds one you can't really approximate this one as axisymmetric. It sounds like more of a 2D planar problem, where most of the flux flows in the plane of the alternating magnets, rather than making axial loops--however, it's hard to say exactly how to attack your problem without seeing what you are trying to model.

In general,  there could be an axisymmetric-like formulation (in the sense of only having to mesh over r and z) in which the fields vary sinusoidally in the tangential direction. This is a similar idea to time-harmonic problems, in which the field is assumed to vary sinusoidally with respect to time--the sinusoidal variation is just with respect to a spatial direction, rather than with respect to time.  However, FEMM doesn't solve that particular class of problem right now.

dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker