Re: Multiple group membership for nodes

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "niallcaldwell" <niall.caldwell@xxxx> wrote:
> Firstly, many thanks to David for his advice over the slotted
> armature problem I had. I was not aware that the "lamination" feature
> essentially did this BH scaling that I was trying to do. The point
> about radial gap is well taken- this is the case in most of my
> designs. I presume that, if the material is working in the linear
> portion of its BH curve, and the gap is small in comparison with the
> major dimensions of the armature and the slot circumferential width,
> then a good approximation to obtain the same gap reluctance is to
> increase the radial gap by the same ratio as the "lamination factor"
> at the outside of the armature?

It might be reasonable to fudge the gap width in this circumstance.
However, I'd suggest using Carter's Coefficient as a guide for picking
the effective air gap. I'll have to look up the formula--I don't
remember it off the top of my head. Anyone have a good web reference
for Carter's Coefficient.

> One other point which has come up. I often want to parameterise
> models so that I can sweep through a design space to find an optimum
> of two or more variables. I want to use Lua with nested "for" loops
> to do this, for instance generating armature force for a range of
> diameters and lengths of the armature.
>
> To do this from the starting point of existing geometry I need to
> select nodes by group in Lua- all the nodes on the outside diameter
> are in group 1, while all the nodes at the top end are in group 2.
> The trouble is, there is always at least one node which wants to be a
> member of both groups (ie the outer top corner). Is there any way to
> assign multiple groups to entities?

Well, you can't assign multiple groups, but you could assign a
different group number for the elements that are supposed to be in
more than one group (e.g. group number 21 for elements that are
supposed to be in both groups 2 and 1 or something...). Then, you can do
selectgroup(1)
selectgroup(21)
to get group1 plus the shared section. When you do multiple
selectgroups, the previously selected group doesn't get unselected.