Re: [femm] Calculation of screen current

Winfried Graupner wrote:
Dear All,

First of all many thanks to David Meeker for this great program.
I use this tool for EMC related issues.
I would like to address a problem in conjunction to calculation of
currents in screened cables.
The arrangement (see file: Screen current.zip in FEMM file directory)
consists of three single screened cables of a three-phase system.
The cables are laid in parallel at a certain distance. All screens
are connected to each other but they are isolated from the domain
boundary.
The magnitude of the screen current depends on the mutual coupling,
the frequency and the impedance of the representative screen loop
(see file: Screen current.zip in FEMM file directory).
For low frequencies the resistor in this loop cannot be neglected
against the reactance of this loop. This disruptive factor is the
cause, why a cable with e.g. copper-braid screen is not suited at low
frequencies.
For frequencies, approx. four times higher than the corner frequency
of the cable the magnitude of the current in the screen reaches the
excitation current and becomes independent on frequency.
In principle the calculation with FEMM confirms this mechanism as
shown in the diagram (see pdf-file).
For frequencies in this intermediate section below 10 kHz the current
in the centre screen is lower than in the right and left screen due
to its lower self inductance (higher corner frequency).
However, I have no explanation for the current distribution in the
right screen. The magnitude versus frequency of this current must be
the same as for the current in the left screen due to quasi-
symmetrical conditions. But the trace does not follow this rule.
I could establish the following details:
- increasing of solver precision or refinement of the mesh has no
noticeable influence on this phenomenon
- the current density in all three screens is not only composed of
eddy currents but also of a certain share of source current in spite
of their isolation from the domain boundary
- the phenomenon changes from the right to the left screen if the
complex space vector rotates in the opposite direction (e.g. exchange
of phase currents in two conductors)
- this phenomenon completely disappears if all three cables are
arranged in a triangle with perfect symmetry, in this case all three
screen currents have the same amount versus frequency.

What is wrong? Do I violate the scope of FEMM?
I would be pleased for any help!

Best regards
Winfried

If you have three-phase conductors arranged in a line, the problem is fundamentally just not symmetric--it sounds like you didn't do anything wrong in setting up and solving the problem. This observation comes up periodically on the mailing list. See, for example: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/femm/message/1672

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196