Re: [FEMM] Development Release

I was alerted to a bug in the Materials Library in the version that I uploaded yesterday:

Each time I open the program and then open the material libraries, the
program creates new materials identical to the first.
The files matlib.dat and statlib.dat then grow in their dimensions, doubling
every time.

I've just uploaded a revised version to http://femm.foster-miller.net/files.htm that should fix this behavior--sorry about that. Anyhow, if anyone notices any other glaring bugs, please let me know--fixing bugs what a "Development Release" is all about.

Dave.

David Meeker wrote:

I've put up a new development version of femm on the web, this time in the Files area associated with the mailing list:
http://femm.foster-miller.net/files.htm

Substantive changes since the last Development Release include:

* A somewhat better notion of "circuits" has been implemented for magnetic
problems. The "circuit" properties now allow the user to specify either
series-connected or parallel connected regions. In addition,
series-connected regions can also be assigned a number of turns, so that
the modeling of multi-turn coils is simplfied. The number of turns for a
region is specified at the block label level (e.g. like the way that
magnetization direction is specified.) In the postprocessor, the program
calculates the voltage drop, flux link, etc. for each "circuit". A new
button has been added to the postprocessor toolbar to make it easier to
see the circuit results.

* The DXF import has been improved.  The import routine is now more savvy
 about identifying and automatically resolving potential DXF import
 problems. Since it was pointed out to me that most DXF problems involve
 endpoints of lines that don't meet, all "orphaned" lines are displayed
 after the DXF import so that the user can inspect for possible problems.
 Multiply defined regions are also noted in the postprocessor, which is
 also a common symptom of DXF import errors.

* Density plot of J has been added to the density plot choices for DC
 magnetics problems.

* An extra "problem definition" attibute has been added to allow the user to
specify the minimum angle constraint used by Triangle when meshing a
geometry. The value of this constraint was previously hard-coded.
Occasionally, a geometries with sharp angles can arise that require the
minimum angle constraint to be reduced for proper meshing.

* A "log plot" button has been added to the BH curve definition dialog that
points the entered BH curve with H on a log scale. The log plot can make
it easier to visualize the curve at low values of H.

* Extra functionality has been added to the Materials Library that makes it
possible to import material definitions from either another input file or
alternate versions of the materials library.

* An extra block integral has been added to magnetic problems for
 calculating moment of inertia.

* A preference has been added to the magnetics postprocessor so that Hc is
subtracted from what FEMM usually reports a H inside permanent magnets,
conforming to the "classic" way of thinking about flux inside magnets.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196