Re: [FEMM] About the modelization of small coils

Patrick Rosa wrote:

My point is that I would like to use FEMM to KNOW the field produced by a given current in the coil. Measuring with a Gaussmeter could prove difficult (fields are in the 0.1-2G range) and more time-expensive than a calculated estimation. But I don't know at this point whether the block model is precise enough, or if I can correct simply by decreasing the current density to have a current integration over the primary corresponding to current per turn * number of turns. In that case what would be the approximation made on the real value of the field?
Any similar experience would be welcomed. If someone had to draw individual coils and wrote some routine to do it, that would also be welcomed, I don't feel much like drawing one-by-one 800 and plus circular wires...
Warmest greetings

If you have a wound coil, it is usually OK to idealize the coil as a solid region (i.e. defined by a polygon tightly enclosing the coil) with a uniformly distributed current density inside that region. The current density is then chosen to be the total amp*turns carried by the coil divided by the cross-section area of the total coil region (i.e. the area enclosed by the polygon that tightly encloses the coil). Modeling of individual turns is usually only necessary if you are interested in computing proximity and skin effect losses in a coil with a small number of turns.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196