Re: [FEMM] Origins of the superposition theory.

Thwala Hanana wrote:

Dear David,

Since it is possible in Femm to model the field as
a function of distance from magnets. I wonder if is possible for you confirm the basic function used to plot field. I basically need to know the origins of
the fuction used to plot field/x.

Regards
Thwala

Although one could obtain magnetic fields by superimposing the contributions from magnetization and currents in the solution domain (i.e. "Fast Mutipole Method" and so forth), this isn't how FEMM computes fields. FEMM is a finite element program--a good place to look for a thorough but comprehensible explanation of the method would be:
P. P. Silvester and R. L Ferrari's "Finite Elements for Electrical Engineers" (http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle-buy-box=0521449537)
In FEMM, the entire solution domain is meshed with triangles. Inside each triangle, the potential is linearly interpolated from the values at the corners of the triangle (i.e. the nodal values). The nodal values are selected by the solver such that the field satisfies the underlying Maxwell's equations as closely as possible. The plotted flux lines are the level contours of the computed potential, as linearly interpolated from the nodal values. Flux density is related to the derivatives of the potential with respect to position. These deriviatives are taken by differentiating the linear interpolation used inside each element.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196