Re: [femm] Electro-magnetic bearing

Rahul Kallurwar wrote:

Hi David

I am a student of cleveland State University and doing my thesis on designing a magnetic bearing, for a test rig. while searching I found one of the mail from Virginia student to you regarding the magnetic bearing. you also have provided the link where the example for magnetic bearing is given, but when I went through this link the I found the page was not existed. I am in the condition that I done with design now I have to verify my design. I already download your software, i stuck at boundary conditions. If you can help me, I would really appreciate you.

Rahul

All of the examples from the Berlios site have been moved over to the new site. The page with the examples is:
http://femm.foster-miller.com/examples.htm
and the example that you are probably after, is the "Radial Magnetic Bearing" example, which you can get to directly at:
http://femm.foster-miller.com/examples/brg/brg.html

W.R.T. boundary conditions, it is usually OK to apply A=0 to the outer edge of the iron in a radial bearing model. For a thrust bearing, you also have to model some air around the bearing to get the fringing right, applying either A=0 or an asymptotic boundary condition at the edge of the air region.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196