Re: [FEMM] FILL FACTOR

KASTURY_HOTMAIL wrote:

Dear Dr Meeker,

   You are planning to introduce wire gaga as a parameter for fill factor.
   Please note that people use ISO metric, British standard and AWG wire
gages as per the availability.

Kastury

I'm planning to include various types wire gauges. Actually, the reason that I haven't explicitly included wire gauge as yet is that there are so many different ways that windings can be constructed, and I haven't quite nailed them all down. For example, there is round wire or square wire or tape. If the wire is round, it could be magnet wire, stranded wire, or some sort of Litz wire. In addition, part of the reason for including wire gauge/type is that I'd like to have the program automatically compute proximity and skin effect losses in wound coils for AC problems (using methods as described in the Continuum Representation of Proximity Losses in a Wound Coil <http://femm.foster-miller.com/examples/proxapprox.zip> example). For that, I also need to know additional information about the build of the coil, e.g. hexagonal or square packing.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196