Re: [FEMM] New Version

Julio Walter wrote:

Dear Friends
I would like to migrate from FEMM 3.3 to 4.0, but I am still reading that this a Beta version. When do you think that this beta version will be ready?, or instead, what useful is this version?

I want to give the 4.0 version a little more time to be shaken out, and there is a bit more functionality that I'd like to add before I'll declare it to be a "release version". Things that are still "to do" include
taking wire size and type as as material properties for wound coil regions (which there was a thread about a few days ago), and displaying boundary labels in some way (e.g. similar to the way that the names of block labels are displayed). I'll probably declare it to be the release version in a couple of months, but things are highly dependent upon how much time I can devote to the program. In general, if more people/companies that sign up for annual support, I'll have more resources to devote the the program and things will happen faster.

As far as salient differences between the 3.3 and 4.0 versions, the 4.0 version has the magnetics and electrostatics pre- and post-processors all integrated into one shell, with one instance of Lua that can talk to everything at once. This makes it a lot easier to do Lua scripting--no more separate pre- and post-processor Lua scripts or kludges to communicate between different instances of Lua. I've also added in series-connected circuits, which I should have done a long time ago. Wound regions are also better supported--you can associate a region with a series-connected circuit, and then specify the number of turns in the region as a block label property. This allows the program to compute voltage drop and flux linkage automatically, rather than having to compute this in a multi-step process. The DXF import has been made somewhat more robust in the 4.0 version, and I've also added a new drag-and-drop type materials library to replace the drop-list one in previous versions.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196