Re: [FEMM] FEMM features request

Tom Hansen wrote:

Hi David et al,

A suggestion: In using FEMM and a separate CAD program, I am constantly changing the drawing in CAD then export-import into FEMM. After adding materials to the library, the time consuming process of labeling all closed spaces occurs. It would be useful to me if there were a command which would place the block label marks into closed areas. If this command was based on areas that were "group" selected, with a default of all areas, this would add even more functionality to the process.

Thanks,

Tom Hansen

The reason that I designed the program to use the "block label" approach was specifically so that I don't have to keep track of closed regions. It isn't that the modification that you suggest couldn't be done, but it could be a lot of work to implement.

A solution to your problem might be to use Lua scripting. It sound like you are making refinements to a design and then re-analyzing the refined design. I'd guess that valid locations of the block labels wouldn't necessarily change from run to run. If this is the case, you could make a short Lua script that would draw your block labels and attach the right materials to them. You could then run this after you load the DXF file to define all of block labels in one fell swoop.

Alternatively, you could parametrically define your geometry via a Lua script. When you find a geometry that you like, you can then export it to your CAD program.

Dave.