From: femm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:femm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Peery
Sent: 26 martie 2004 20:08
To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FEMM] modeling coils???

Hello, I am new to using FEMM and to electro magnetism - I'm a mechanical
engineer fresh out of Univ. or Washington!  I have a new job and I'm jumping
right into this stuff.  I'm looking at modeling the field that results from
a magnetric flow meter.  I am pretty much following example 2 from the FEMM
website; however the example shows a transverse slice of the inductor and I
want to model a axial slice so I am confused about how to do this.  I
attached my current FEMM file.

basicallly I have a simple inductor and I want to know what the mag lines
look like.  I setup the geometry, meshed it, applied material properties,
and a boundary condition and ran the solution.  the results don't look
right. My confusion is that the flux lines should parrallel the inductor,
but instead they radiate from the inductor ( in a circular fashion with the
inductor at the center). so how does FEMM know how my coils are oriented?
>From the results it looks as thought FEMM thinks I have a transverse slice
of my inductor, however what I want to model is an axial slice.

Can anyone offer some advice? thanks!

Jeff