Re: Calculation of self and mutual inductances

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxx, P.Neumaier@xxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anybody help me? When I calculate the self inductance of e.g. a
> coil encircling a copper rod using the "A.J" integral I get the
> correct unit "Henry * A²". But this integral yields incorrect
> results, which can be prooved when defining a problem, which can
also
> be solved analytically. However, using the integral "A" for the
> mutual inductance, the value is correct, but the unit is given
> as "A*m³" which is obviously not the unit for an inductance.
>
> Thanks for any answer in advance.
>
> Peter

Are you dividing the result FEMM gives you by the current in the coil
squared? If so are you using the correct value for the current? If
you have multiple turns the current scales with N... I did some
calculations like this when I started using FEMM and got some
incorrect answers due to faulty current values. Be sure to add up all
cross sectional areas of conductor multiplied by their respective
current densities. This solved the problems I was having...