Re: [femm] Calculation of self and mutual inductances

P.Neumaier@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> can anybody help me? When I calculate the self inductance of e.g. a
> coil encircling a copper rod using the "A.J" integral I get the
> correct unit "Henry * A²". But this integral yields incorrect
> results, which can be proved when defining a problem, which can also
> be solved analytically. However, using the integral "A" for the
> mutual inductance, the value is correct, but the unit is given
> as "A*m³" which is obviously not the unit for an inductance.
>
> Thanks for any answer in advance.

Sorry it's taken a while for me to get back to you with this question.

The "A*m^3" unit on the integral of just "A" is a typo--should be Joule
Meter^2 / Amp, or something consistent with this. Thanks for pointing this
out.

However, I'm pretty sure that the A.J integral can be used to get reasonable
values of inductance. As a giggle test, one could examine the approximate
formula for the inductance of a single-turn circular loop of round wire:

L = mu_o r (Log[8 r / a'] - 2)

where mu_o is the permeability of free space, r is the radius of the loop
measured to the center of the wire, and a' is the geometric mean radius of
the wire (the geometric mean radius is a*Exp[-1/4], where a is the radius of
the wire).

I have arbitrarily chosen to consider a coil with a mean radius of 1"
(r=0.0254 m) and a wire radius of 0.125" (a=0.003175 m), implying that the
geometric mean radius of the conductor is a'=0.002473 m. I have imposed a
current of 30 A in the wire.

I have attached a model of this coil. I used an asymptotic boundary
condition (an approximation of an "open" boundary) so that the boundaries
should have only a trivial effect on an inductance computation. I used a
"circuit" property to impose the current in the coil.

When I do the A.J integral for this geometry, the result is 6.865*10^(-5)
H*A^2. The inductance of the coil is then: (6.865*10^(-5) H*A^2)/(30 A)^2 =
7.628*10^(-8) H.

Evaluating the formula for this configuration yields 7.689*10^(-8) H, which
corresponds pretty well to the finite element result.

Dave Meeker

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard