Re: [femm] more anecdotal capacitor safety!

I'm not sure what the original thread ofthis message is but here are some general tips from experiece

A good tip is to always store cap's witha short wire across them. This way you know they are discharged ! (make sure theyare discharged before shorting them !)

We frequently use the lots of things in series technique to get the required voltage withstand and it works very well.

If you have the money avaiable get HV probes. never trust a single meter, they do lie occasionaly. Watch out for weird dischage paths. Ie back through any instrments up a RS232 cable and into a PC (yes we have seen it). And if you are dischanging them via a pulse in to a thyristor or similar construct you self an optical link.