B.n(avg) vs. B.n^2(avg)

Hey Group,

I’m having some trouble getting valid force numbers for my axisymmetric pot core solenoid model.  I’m not able to define a contour in the very tight air-gaps surrounding the armature.

I’ve opted to estimate force using F=(A*B^2)/(2*mu) Where A = Armature Area, B=Average Flux Density along Armature Face, mu = permeability of air.

My question: Because (B.n.average)^2 doesn’t equal (B.n^2)average. Which should I use?  Why?  Is this method going to yield accurate results?

Also:  is there anywayto show an H density plot around the circuit?  I can define a contour around the magnetic circuit then plot H, but this doesn’t give me a feel for the ‘high MMF drop’ regions as well as an H-density plot would.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay D. Greener