Re: [femm] high performance computing options for FEM

Mr. Starcevich:

*nix is a serious option (any good excuse to get away from Win) ... My impression from reading MS white papers is that they support enterprise server database and web applications, but not so much for number crunching, perhaps because of the latter being seen as a specialized and not very lucrative market, (pharmaceuticals and biotech -- molecular modelling, etc.  notwithstanding).

Thanks for your comments.

Greg

bradstarcevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
If your serious about clustering and making changes to the
source code, then why not utilize a Operating environment
suited to the task? The latest Linux kernal supports clustering as
do most flavors of UNIX. Why not just port the application to
run under *nix? Why support all of the Windoze overhead?

The writing is on the wall. Check out what MSC is doing with
Linux (no, I don't work for them, I just run
their NASTRAN product under Windoze). You're talking
about some SERIOUS number crunching. You need a platform
that's up to the task.

Best,
Bradley K. Starcevich
Sr. Staff Engineer
The Cougar Group
http://www.starcevich.org

femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Members of the FEMM group ...

I am a new member working on a large, static permanent magnet design
problem for magnetic resonance. Times to calculate range from 4-6 hours
at high mesh densities on a 550MHz PIII server with 400Mbytes RAM,
Windows 2000 Professional.  I need to optimize the computational
efficiency while increasing the mesh densities.

Does anyone have experience with any of these options? :

1. Single Pentium IV at high clock speeds.
2. Dual processor Pentium servers
3. Clusters under Windows 2000 Advanced Server or
   Datacenter Server, where one might have 8 - 32 processors.

Under options 2. and 3. would I need to get into the source code to take
full advantage of either architecture, e.g. libraries specifically
geared towards multithreading on dual processor and/or clusters?  (Early
indications are to the affirmative.)

Thanks,

Greg
===