From: Greg Quinting [mailto:gregq@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 8:46 PM
To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: aiinmr@xxxxxxx; g.moyna@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [femm] high performance computing options for FEM

Members of the FEMM group ...

I am a new member working on a large, static permanent magnet design
problem for magnetic resonance. Times to calculate range from 4-6 hours
at high mesh densities on a 550MHz PIII server with 400Mbytes RAM,
Windows 2000 Professional. I need to optimize the computational
efficiency while increasing the mesh densities.

Does anyone have experience with any of these options? :

1. Single Pentium IV at high clock speeds.
2. Dual processor Pentium servers
3. Clusters under Windows 2000 Advanced Server or
Datacenter Server, where one might have 8 - 32 processors.

Under options 2. and 3. would I need to get into the source code to take
full advantage of either architecture, e.g. libraries specifically
geared towards multithreading on dual processor and/or clusters? (Early
indications are to the affirmative.)

Thanks,

Greg

===