Re: [femm] similar software

sabakrishna@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, all
> I am new member to this group.
> Nice to contact all via this group.
>
> I am a research student. I have to develop an software for solving a
> Particular inverse problems (in electtromagnetics) by an appropriate
> FEM(including optimization)
> I have to do some survey on existing FEM software,specifically in
> electomagnetic, such as FEMM.
>
> Ques.........
> Usually any software developer does not give any detail information
> on their product except academic software developer.
> In the user guide, we can get informations on how to use the software
> but unble to get information what were the algorithms, they used,
> Specifically in FEMM software and similar, algorithm for mesh
> gneration and optimizing method etc..
> For my research purpose, How I can get all these infotmation. If any
> one give me idea, it will be warm help for me.
>
> Thanking you,
>
> Krishna

FEMM seeks to be completely open as to what the code is doing and how it is
doing it. There is a chapter in the manual entitled "Numerical Methods" that
tells, in broad terms, the methods that femm is implementing. References
that explain the particular methods used by femm also cited in the manual.
You can also download the source to see how these methods were (hopefully
correctly) implemented.

Many of the commercial fea companies have been pretty good about writing
journal and conference papers that describe interesting algorithms from their
codes in detail. The place to look is IEEE Transactions on Magnetics.
Several of the commercial companies have bibliographies that list their
publications, so that it is easier to figure out what a particular code is
doing. Check out:

Infolytica at http://www.infolytica.com/en/library/ (these guys have
published a lot of neat papers)

Ansoft at http://www.ansoft.com/news/articles/index.cfm

Integrated Engineering Software at http://www.integratedsoft.com/papers.htm

Mega at http://www.bath.ac.uk/elec-eng/pages/staff/dr.htm

SLIM at
http://www.technology.alstom.com/en/rdpolicy/consultancy/slim/docs/ow/ow_recent_pub.htm

FlexPDE at http://www.pdesolutions.com/products3.htm

Field Precision at http://www.fieldp.com/book.html

The guys at Vector Fields and Magsoft have also published a lot of articles,
but I couldn't find any centralized list of references on their sites.

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard