Re: [femm] Inductance by means of his definition

In a message dated 11/15/01 8:00:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, albertoperarnau@xxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,
As you know I'm simulating an induction motor, now I'm calculating inductance. I read manual of femm where it says to calculate inductance by energy. I use this method, but I find another method where it uses integer of A, the equation is:

L = [N*h/Scopper*(integer A in section Scopper+ - integer A in section Scopper- )]/i
where
N : number of turns
h : depth
Scopper : section
i: current

I think that this oughta be:

L=(N*h*Scopper/i) * (A1 - A2)

where A1 is the average value of a in section Scopper+
and A2 is the average value of a in section Scopper-

hich method is more exact or are two equals? I think this method is more exact because  the method of energy uses definition of W=1/2Li^2 and  it equals to energy by integer of AJ. This method come of definition of inductance. The results are similars by two methods.

Thank you

Alberto

It's neither more nor less accurate than using a energy method, because you can show that it really is the A.J integral method for the special case where the current in the coil cross-section is constant.
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c