Re: [femm] permanent magnet in harmonic analysis

eborkent wrote:

 I want to simulate a copper coil with an alternating current through it in the field of a permanent magnet. When I do this, I believe the field of the magnet is oscillating too. Is that true and what can I do about this?

E-J Borkent

In femm, you can only consider one frequency at a time.  The field from a permanent magnet is a dc phenomenon.  When you analyze a problem with a permanent magnet at a frequency other than zero, the magnet just looks like a block of plain material with the same permeability and conductivity as the magnet.  You'd do this sort of analysis, for example, to look at eddy currents that you might induce in the PM material due to AC current in the coil.

Anyhow, I don't know exactly what aspects you are after.  It may be that you'd have to do a DC analysis to get the field of the PM, and the AC analysis to get the field of the coil + eddy currents, etc.  You can then superimpose the results (assuming linear materials) to get the combined solution.

Dave.