Re: [femm] Diamagnetism

roberthillier wrote:

> Hi All!
> As a newby , will I be wasting my time getting to grips with FEMM if
> I want to model diamagnetic stabilisation of permanent magnet
> levitation? (I can't find "diamagnetic" or "susceptibility" in the
> messages index for this group, so I guess that FEMM might not be my
> best bet for this problem.)
> If so, can anyone please recommend an alternative ( free ) software
> package? I'm particularly interested in modelling the effects of
> diamagnetics with holes in them in this problem.
> Thanks
> Robert Hillier

You ought to be able to model paramagnetic materials with femm. These are
just materials in which the relative permeability is (slightly) less than 1.
For example, you'd model bismuth as a material with a relative permeability
of like 0.999834. I haven't really mucked around much with diamagnetic
materials, but since the effect is a subtle one, you may need to make models
with rather fine meshing to resolve it accurately (so that discretization
error isn't larger than the effect that you are trying to observe).

Da

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.foster-miller.com
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
adr:;;350 Second Avenue;Waltham;MA;02451;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
fn:David Meeker