Re: [femm] Metals

Samuel Ace Winchenbach wrote:

Hello all, As some of you know I am currently working on a coilgun project.   I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on good metals to use as the projectile and where to purchase them?   So far I had silicon iron suggested...  but I can't seem to find any place that sells it.   I need about a foot long section of 3/8" diameter or less...  thanks for any help you may be able to offer. Samuel Winchenbach
swinchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Maine - Electrical Engineering
207-581-7535

If you use a solid projectile, your machine shouldn't be highly sensitive to the type of iron that you use.  You could probably just use a piece of steel rebar (as long as it's not stainless), or just about any sort of low carbon steel rod.  This is typically the sort of item that you could find as a piece of scrap in just about any machine shop.

If you use a solid projectile, there will be eddy currents in the projectile that reduce the force below what you might expect from a magnetostatic calculation.  There are some interesting thoughts with respect to this issue at http://web2.iadfw.net/jd4usa/projectile1.htm

Dave Meeker

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.foster-miller.com
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
adr:;;350 Second Avenue;Waltham;MA;02451;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
fn:David Meeker