Re: [femm] Diamagnetism

I've read a few replys about this and thought I might add my bit since I have in the past tried to model diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials.

Diamagnetic materials have small (usually very small) negative susceptibility which means that their relative permeability is slightly less than 1. This is simple to model in FEMM because you can set the permeability to whatever you want. However, whether or not the very small differences in permeability between air and the majority of diamagnetic materials would be noticeable is questionable.

Note that air is slightly paramagnetic and has a relative permeability of about 1.00000034 (I think) and diamagnetic materials would tend to drive flux out of them - flux density is a little bit lower in the material than in the air surrounding.

Diamagnetic and paramagnetic effects are difficult to measure experimentally and are just as difficult to model. I would concur with Dave, that a very fine mesh would be required and it may be that FEMM doesn't work to sufficient significant figures to deal with the problem. What precision do you use Dave?

Keith.