Re: [femm] AC Solenoid example

bdearl65 wrote:
I am trying to model an AC solenoid.  I do not understand how to
drive the coil.  For DC I already know the resistance of the coil so
it is simple to determine what the coil current will be.  I enter
this either as a current density in the material properties dialog
box or as a current in the circuit dialog box.

For AC, the inductive reactance depends not only on the coil, which I
can compute, but also on the configuration of the solenoid
components, which is not easy to compute.  I would assume this is one
of the reasons you would use FEMM anyway!  How do I apply current to
the model when I don't yet know what the inductive reactance is?
Just apply an arbitrarily chosen current and evaluate the problem.  Once you solve the problem, you can then back out the inductive reactance using the methods described in the example at http://femm.berlios.de/induct1/induct1.htm   For AC problems, it's best to use the A.J method.  Then, using this inductance, you can figure out how much current should be there for a given source voltage.