Determining inductance per meter with 2D analyses

Anybody have an idea how to calculate inductance per length?

I tried using the formula 1/2 L I^2 = Energy

but the Energy value changed too much based upon number of nodes.
We're talking 100% It's as though, more nodes, more energy with no
asymptotic limit in sight!

It's a very simple structure, a wire with a slab of metal around it,
so the results should be straight forward. However, the "magnetic
field energy" seems to relate to the number of nodes *and* the number
of nodes in the metal, which makes no sense, since there is less than
0.01% energy in the metal. But changing the nodes in the metal
actually made the inductance change by a factor of 2:1

Any ideas? Plus ideas on how to know when enough is enough?

- Robert -