Re: Forces on a small diamagnetic sphere in an AC/DC field

Dave,

Thanks again for the help... This program is really fun! I had a
question about calculating forces in axisymmetric problems. By
looking over the past archives I found a couple references to this
(how one should start and end the contour on the r=0 axis). With
respect to your "ball" example. Let us say there is an
axisymmetric "r" component to the magnetic force (rather than being
uniform). I'm interested in calculating the forces in both z- and r-
on the ball. i.e. in the case where the ball is diamagnetic there
should be an "r-" restoring force and a positive "z-" suspension
force on the ball. However, in the axisymmetric problem the r- force
would (and should (I havent checked)) turn out to be zero. Is there
a way to determine the "r- component" restoring force? (even though
its zero right at the r=0 position). I guess I want the second
derivative of the radial force (d2F/d2r). How do I calculate that in
femm and are there "things to watch out for" in terms of the
calculation?

Thanks!!!
-Scott

--- In femm@xxxx, David Meeker <dmeeker@xxxx> wrote:
> "nortonsm" <nortonsm@xxxx> wrote:
> > Dave,
> >
> > You bring up a question I had when you mentioned that the
> > boundary conditions would take care of themselves. As a newbie
> > FEMM, I'm currently demo'ing Femlab (a finite element analysis
> > program that works with Matlab). One thing not covered well in
the
> > documentation (and not answered yet in an email to support) is
when
> > certain boundary conditions are applicable such as the "special"
> > boundary conditions below.

> > 3) Magnetic Potential: Aphi0=Aphi1
> > 4) Surface current: -n (curl) H = Js
> >
> > Will eddy currents (and resulting magnetic polarization) set up
in
> > the diamagnetic sphere "automatically" be taken care of in femm
once
> > I switch to AC fields?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And off hand, do you know an example for each
> > of the above boundary conditions? For instance, doesn't magnetic
> > discontinuity above just mean that there is no surface current?
So
> > far it seems that setting up correct boundary conditions is the
more
> > difficult part of femm modeling. It doesn't seem clear for
different
> > materials and situations where one boundary condition is prefered
> > over another.
>
> You generally never have to apply any of those boundary
> conditions--internal boundaries always "take care of themselves."
For
> example, 1) is never an issue, because in the 2-D formulations, all
> current flows in the into-the-page direction. (You can, however,
set up
> constraints on the total current carried in a set of regions to
define
> how they are hooked together). Number 2) , by which I think that
you
> mean that the part of H that is tangential a boundary should be
> continuous across the boundary, gets enforced "automatically"
because
> this is a property of the vector potential formulation and the type
of
> elements used. (To be really strict and use the correct
terminology, it