Re: [femm] Re: Forces on a small diamagnetic sphere in an AC/DC field

nortonsm wrote:

Dave,

Thanks again for the help... This program is really fun! I had a
question about calculating forces in axisymmetric problems. By
looking over the past archives I found a couple references to this
(how one should start and end the contour on the r=0 axis). With
respect to your "ball" example. Let us say there is an
axisymmetric "r" component to the magnetic force (rather than being
uniform). I'm interested in calculating the forces in both z- and r-
on the ball. i.e. in the case where the ball is diamagnetic there
should be an "r-" restoring force and a positive "z-" suspension
force on the ball. However, in the axisymmetric problem the r- force
would (and should (I havent checked)) turn out to be zero. Is there
a way to determine the "r- component" restoring force? (even though
its zero right at the r=0 position). I guess I want the second
derivative of the radial force (d2F/d2r). How do I calculate that in
femm and are there "things to watch out for" in terms of the
calculation?

Thanks!!!
-Scott

The program should report zero as the net radial force in an axisymmetric problem. People who have been after internal stresses on an axisymmetric structure have been interested in the force that you get on, say, a segment of the geometry--since this isn't one of the standard integrals, you have to evaluate it yourself via a lua script. However, this isn't the same as the "r-component restoring force." Except in some special cases (e.g. configurations of just permanent magnets), you generally can't infer centering force from the axisymmetric solution in a straightforward way.

David Meeker <http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker>