continuum model of proximity losses (was Re: various induction machine questions)

David Meeker wrote:
There also might be a way to infer proximity effect losses a posteriori from a field solution with nonconductive bulk coil model.  It seems like I saw a paper about this in Transactions on Magnetics not that long ago, but I wasn't able to fish up the reference to it tonight--I suppose that I could be mistaken.
Ok--here's the reference that I was thinking of the other day:

Proximity losses computation with a 2D complex permeability modelling
Moreau, O.; Popiel, L.; Pages, J.L.
Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on , Volume: 34 Issue: 5 Part: 1 , Sept. 1998
Page(s): 3616 –3619

The idea of a continuum model of proximity losses seems pretty cool.  I cooked up an example to check it out. For the example that I tried, the much simpler bulk coil model appears to predict essentially identical losses to a model in which each wire was explicitly modeled.  If you are curious about this example, I've put it up at:  http://femm.berlios.de/proxapprox.zip

I put this example together pretty quickly, so hopefully it's not entirely unintelligible....

Dave.