FEMM now crashing!

FEMM is now acting very strange and not running. It will not even
solve the demos. Before the first incident of the problem, I made
some changes as follows:

1) Added USB external harddrive. (using a laptop)
2) Set the directory where files are saved to a new location
3) Imported some new materials. (this was done before the USB
drive and they seemd to solve fine)

On first model (imprted DXF), I first started to see an error message
in the solver "Cannot solve the problem" onthe firat iteration. I
then loaded 2 or 3 of the demo problems and the solver seems to solve
but then hangs when opeing the results window. I see the start of the
title line but no more of the window is created.

I have un-installed FEMM and re-installed, leaving all defaults etc
the same - but I stil have the same problem with the demos. Now I
cannot solve any problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I sent the first file I had troible with to a
worker that has FEMM and he gets the same "Unable to solve problem"
error, but his other files still work. I can send this file if
needed. How do I do that by the way?
Thanks
Ted