Re: [femm] FEMM now crashing!

ttelesky wrote:
FEMM is now acting very strange and not running.  It will not even
solve the demos.  Before the first incident of the problem, I made
some changes as follows:

1) Added USB external harddrive. (using a laptop)
2) Set the directory where files are saved to a new location
3) Imported some new materials. (this was done before the USB
drive and they seemd to solve fine)

On first model (imprted DXF), I first started to see an error message
in the solver "Cannot solve the problem" onthe firat iteration.  I
then loaded 2 or 3 of the demo problems and the solver seems to solve
but then hangs when opeing the results window.  I see the start of the
title line but no more of the window is created.

I have un-installed FEMM and re-installed, leaving all defaults etc
the same - but I stil have the same problem with the demos.  Now I
cannot solve any problem.

Anyone have any ideas?  I sent the first file I had troible with to a
worker that has FEMM and he gets the same "Unable to solve problem"
error, but his other files still work.  I can send this file if
needed.  How do I do that by the way?
Thanks
Ted

Hmm--I can't see how FEMM would care about any of those changes.  The solver only gives the "Couldn't solve the problem" message if it detects zeros on the main diagonal of the matrix that is builds to solve for the fields.  This is a sure sign that something is really wrong, though it may be hard to say exactly what.

Now, it's not impossible to get a dxf file that imports poorly, such that triangle chokes when it tries to mesh it.  You could then get the"Couldn't solve the problem"  message.  If this is the case, you'll end up having to manual check the geometry's consistency (i.e. look for points right on top of one another that really should be the same point).  However, FEMM is internally not a very sophisticated program--it's hard to see how choking on one geometry could affect the performance of any other problems.

The only time that I've seen anything that might be like this is when I was analyzing a file that lived on a zip disk. The zip disk was nearly full, so that there wasn't enough space to write the mesh to disk. When I the solver tried to analyze the problem, it then gave the "Couldn't solve the problem", because it had only read in about half the mesh. If I had attempted to analyze additional geometries on the same filled-up drive, it would probably have corrupted up those files, because there'd be no place to store them.

dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker