Magnetic measuremnt experiment

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I used Femm to calculate
the effect on a tri-axial magnetometer of a magnet outside a steel
tube. The idea was to see if you could determine the angular
position of the magnet. I have just received the data from a test
and it seems to work, though there is end distortion of the signals
as the magnetometer moves into and out of the field. Is there anyone
who could provide a simple algorithm to use the z vector to reduce
the end effect? If I just use x and y, it is quite noisy except when
directly in line with the magnet. I have put a small section of
the data to ilustrate (magnet.txt) in the files section for anyone
interested.

Thanks,

Barry