From: David Meeker [mailto:dmeeker@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 8:20 AM
To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [femm] H,B Vector Plots

djsquires@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like to add that perhaps some arrows to show polarity or flux
> flow directions similar to Quickfield would be nice too. Otherwise we
> have to check the sign of the point properties to be sure of this. But
> first you have to click a point on the plot to get some point
> properties displayed.
>
> A simple visual cue like arrows would help. Then if you have the
> contour plot displayed you know instantly the flux flow polarities
> anywhere on the plot without having to click a point to get the point
> property display. This is qualitative information sure, but it is
> still valuable for double checking coil current polarity reversal
> mistakes and such.
>
> This can be an option that can be turned on or off or set as a default
> just like all the other display formats.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Squires
>
> alesteakira wrote:
> > Is it possible to plot the vectors of H,B in FEMM
> > viewer? If not, do you think of including it in
> > future releases.?

I'd never included the vector plots (i.e. arrows indicating the strength
and direction of flux density plotted at each grid points) simply
because I've never found them to be that useful to me. It has always
seemed to me that the density of such plots is too coarse to convey that
much useful information. I could include them in a future release if
there is generally a strong desire for this functionality.

Alternatively, it might be useful just to superimpose arrow heads on the
flux lines as they are currently plotted. The arrow heads indicate
direction, and the density of the lines would indicate field strength
(well, at least for 2D planar problems).

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker