RE: [femm] SRM Inductance plot at constant current

Thanks for clarifying that Dave.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: David Meeker [mailto:dmeeker@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 9:20 AM
To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [femm] SRM Inductance plot at constant current

Brad Frustaglio wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I have been using FEMM for a few years now. Many thanks to Dave,
> excellent program.
>

> I have question on evaluating the A-J integral and then calculating
> the self inductance from the result.
>

> I am modeling a 4 phase SRM with 8 stator poles and 6 rotor poles. I
> am attempting to extract the torque profile and inductance profile
> with one phase excited at constant current as the rotor moves through
> one stroke. The torque magnitude and shape looks reasonable. However I
> am having trouble understanding how to calculate the inductance
> correctly. The profile shape looks as expected I am just concerned on
> the magnitude of inductance. My method is:
>

>    1. Highlight the blocks with the current flowing ( In my case there
>       are2 current blocks per pole (one on each side of the stator
>       pole) for a total of 4 current blocks per phase.
>    2. Evaluate the A-J integral at each respective rotor position
>    3. The self inductance as defined is int(A-J)dV /i^2) where i is
>       thecoil current
>

> I think I am running into trouble on the coil current term. What is
> the correct coil current to use to evaluate the inductance correctly?
>

> The value of one current block or the sum of all current blocks. Also
> this is actually amp-turns. Not the actual current flowing in the wire
> itself. Right?
>

> For instance: the current in one block in the model is defined as
> 11.15 MA/m^2. The coil area is 2.6903 x10^-5 m^2. So the magnitude of
> current in the coil block is 300 A-T. Is this the current I use for
> the evaluation of self inductance usingthe A-J integral?
>

> Regards,
>

> Brad Frustaglio

The /i/ in the equation actually /is /the actual current flowing in the
wire itself.  Like in your example, saythat your coil is made of 60
turns of wire.  Since you have 300 Amp*Turns, the current in the wire
would be 5 Amps.  The 5 Amps is then the value that you'd use as /i/ in
the equation.  There's also an example that might be relevant to you at
http://femm.berlios.de/induct1/induct1.htm

One last thought--switched reluctance motorsare typically run in a
highly saturated condition.  The quantity that you are computing with
the A.J integral is (flux linkage/current), but it doesn't have the same
relationship to stored energy as inductance in a linear problem.
Furthermore, this "nonlinear inductance" appears in a subtly different
way in any electric circuit equations that you might write.  For example,
the electric circuit equation that applies to your case is:
D(flux linkage)/Dt + R i = v
where the Dt is meant to represent the /total/ derivative with respect
to time.  If inductance, L,  is not a function of current, this
simplifies to the usual:
L di/dt + R i = v
However, if L is a function of i, we'd get:
(L(i) + i*dL/di)*di/dt + R i = v

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker