Re: Can femm model this?

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wigstonmagna" <andrew_ppp@xxxx> wrote:
> wigstonmagna wrote:
> I want to simulate a coil placed between two flat parallel metal
> plates, with the coil's long axis parallel to the plates. I want to
> electrically connect the inductance in parallel with the capacitor
> (the plates) and drive the assembly at AC.
> Can this be constructed?
> -Andrew
>
> David replied:
> Problems that FEMM can simulate have to be either axially symmetric
> (e.g. a solenoid, speaker driver, etc.) or approximated as planar
> (e.g. many types of motors). Although your coil may be
axisymmetric,
> the entire arrangement isn't axisymmetric--you can't model it
directly
> with FEMM.
>
> How about planar mode? Will a 2D slice work?

I don't know. We can assume the plates are circular for symmetry's
sake. Then, in planar mode, we'd be either looking down the coil axis
with the plates on opposite sides (left/right or top/bottom), or we'd
be looking at the side of the coil, with the plates above and below.
Can femm model a coil in either of these orientations?

-Andrew