Re: [femm] Hang-up questions

Tom Hansen wrote:
Hi Dave:

I have been using this great program for awhile and often it works
without hassles but occasionally when I import a dxf file there are
small glitches.  Usually the glitches are: double points, unconnected
paths or very small areas of overlap.  Sometimes these show up when
doing the mesh, other times during the analysis where it will just hang
and not signal an error.  Is there a portion of the program that could
do a "prior to run" error check that would flag these types of errors or
log a snags list?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Cribbing a bit from msg 514:

Femm could still use a little work on the dxf import filter, but a lot of problems stem from the fact that dxf is really just a drawing format rather than a finite element format.  Problems like lines not quite meeting, points almost being coincident, etc, aren't problems for a drawing format, but they are a headache if you are trying to specify a consistent geometry.  There's a really good explanation of problems and possible solutions w.r.t. dxf import on the IES website at http://www.integratedsoft.com/Demos/2DDXF/2DDXFImport.pdf  Although this site is specifically about dxf import issues with IES Magneto, all of the wisdom applies to doing dxf imports in femm as well.