Re: some proposals for future developments

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Smith <mark.smith@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> I might be off the ball here but many years ago I was trying to see
if it
> was practical to measure the air gap in a solenoid valve by
measuring the
> inductance, which my quickfield model suggested should be possible.
I found
> that my measured inductance's were much lower than expected which
turned out
> to be that the permeability at low field strengths was much lower
than my
> material model due to the fact that the B-H curves are for ideal
shaped
> fully annealed samples & my cores were "as machined". I went to the
expense
> of having some parts hydrogen annealed and the results were much
more in
> agreement with the FEA analysis. Saturation field strengths were
not so
> different.
> Regards
> Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, we figured it was partly due to changes in
permiability at low levels so we actually had some ring samples of
the iron tested and made BH curves from them, in both the annealed an
unannealed condition. There were differences (mostly at low levels)
but not enough to explain the kind of errors we were getting.
(Although maybe for inductance it makes more difference - we were
only concerned with force.) One thing that did help (although not
completely) was to treat the iron as a weak permanent magnet oriented
against the coil. That is, we took the Hc of the iron from the
samples we tested and put that into the materials library as a new
material. This was enough to partly fix things and I've done it on
low saturation models since. But it still is somewhat unsatisfying as
this "solution" is really just a fudge factor. From what you are
saying, it seems that maybe the finished part itself needs to be
annealed to bring it in line with the model, implying that the
machining stresses are causing a larger Hc than our sample measured.
That would be unfortunate since there would be no way to predict it,
and annealing is too expensive an operation to do for some of these
units.
But thanks again for your insight - it is nice to know that others
have had similar problems and that something as simple as
annealing/machining stresses might be enough to explain it - even if
I can't calculate around it.
Andy