Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 2:57 AM
Subject: [femm] Re: FE magnetics commercial ware

Hello Dave & Steven,

    I've been tracking the conversation as a femm-member. These last two communications really left me amused ! May be, I should share information with you at this point regarding other commercial FE-Magnetics software that you would like to evaluate sometime or the other -

ONE :
Software Name :    MAXWELL  2D/3D Magnetic Field Simulator
Solvers            :    Electrostatic, Non-linear Magnetostatic, Non-linear Eddy Current, Parametric capability
Web site          :    www.ansoft.com
e-mail            :    info@xxxxxxxxxx

TWO :
Software Name : OPERA - 2D/3D, TOSCA, ELECTRA, CARMEN- 3D
Solvers        : All as detailed earlier
Web site      :  www.vectorfields.com
e-mail          :  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THREE :
Software Name : Magnet 6
Solvers             : as before
Web site           :www.infolytica.com
e-mail              :  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FOUR :
Software Name  :        Flux-2D, Flux-3D, Phi-3D, Flux_Param, Atila etc....
Web site            :  www.magsoft.flux.com
e-mail               : info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you

Prem Kumar

Dave Squires wrote:

 Steven,
I am evaluating Amperes right now.  I have to say I think their
interface leaves a lot to be desired.  It is a pain in the butt to enter
and define a problem.  Geometry entry is not at all intuitive not to
mention boundary element definition.  I told them already I don't
think the software is worth the $15,000 they are asking.
When did you evaluate and use it?  It seems to me to be worth
about $2K-5K on the open market.  I guess they don't have
any competition and charge the high price as a result.
Do you know of another 3D package that is worth the price charged?

My gut feel so far is not to buy IES Amperes.

Thanks,
Dave Squires