Re: [femm] Re: Incorrect force direction

I can't help you much. All of the work I do is 2D. I evaluated it several
years ago so my opinions are dated. That's why I said I hope that the
software had improved. Part of the problem with the 2D version was the way
they tried to handle nonlinear properties of the materials and eddy
currents. The material had to be broken up into "elements", called
something else, which was more trouble than doing finite elements. AND, if
I have to go through all that work why go with boundary elements.

The program seemed to work for DC motors, magnets, far field and high
frequency effects. If I were designing M.R.I. equipment I might like it.
But I design electric induction machines. Bottom line, it might be a good,
maybe great package for some things but not everything.

If I had to recommend I would suggest Infolytica. They have been around a
long time. I trust the theory and have faith in those working on it. The
salesman has been calling me and is begging me to try it again and says it
is much better than the version I tried. The other is Ansoft. I trust John
Brauer who is one of the people that work on it's development. I have no
comment on OPERA, and I think Magsoft is better at 2D and came out of the
machines world, may not be as generally robust.

Good luck and thanks.